sound-service-0-0 ?? (was: RE: [ltp] old-ish Thinkpad 310 + linux +sound!)

Atwood, Robert C linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Fri, 21 May 2004 13:27:24 +0100

Okay! Thanks to the people who gave me pointers to some documetnation,
and those who wrote that documentation, and of course the people who
wrote the software in the first place, the sound is working now, but I
have one more question.

Once all the correct modules were compiled , using the kernel isapnp
support but NOT the isapnp standalone program, then installing the
opl3sa2.o module *without parameters* works correctly. However,
autoprobing the modules results in messages that:

sound-service-0-0=20
sound-service-0-3=20

were not found. I have solved this by placing

alias sound-service-0-0 opl3sa2
alias sound-service-0-3 mpu401

into the modules.conf -- it works, but I don't know why it works, does
it matter which "sound-service" is related to which module?=20

=20
Thanks again
Robert

(Also the reason I could not hear the sound initially was that for some
reason the default mixer settings had the sound turned way down (4%) Who
thought that this was a sensible default??? I could tell it was working
only by pressing my ear up against the builtin speaker.)