[ltp] External mouse trouble

Sat, 22 May 2004 11:27:46 +0300

--dDRMvlgZJXvWKvBx

On Sat, May 22, 2004 at 03:31:00AM -0400, Antiphon wrote:
> As most 600 users are aware, the TP 600 series cannot
> use a keyboard in its sole PS/2 slot.

I had a TP 755 once (well, still have it).  It had a single PS/2 slot.
I could plug in a mouse, or, with a little PS/2 splitter cable, I could
plug in both the keyboard or a mouse (or just the keyboard).  I bought
the little Y splitter cable in a convenience store.  It looks like this:

  http://www.pccables.com/06015.htm

> After doing a bit of googling, I discovered that this
> seems to be a bit of a problem with tps. Has anyone on
> the list successfully configured a thinkpad to use an
> external ps/2 wheelmouse?

I read somewhere that it is possible iff you disable the trackpoint in
the BIOS (or perhaps with tpctl).  Since I do not want to disable the
trackpoint ever, I never tried it.  I use a USB mouse.

> Ideally, I'd prefer to just hook up the mouse to the
> USB port but my machine only has one :-(

You can use a USB hub.  Some USB keyboards have a built-in USB hub with
extra slots for plugging in a mouse or other things.  Or you can try
using the keyboard with a PS/2 cable I described above.

HTH,
Marius Gedminas
--=20
world.