[ltp] T21 FC2 Alsa & ACPI problems

Piotr Gawrysiak linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Sat, 22 May 2004 16:00:29 +0200

------=_NextPart_000_000C_01C44015.E75FC280

Sorry for multiple postings (if any ;-)

I decided to give final Fedora Core 2 a try on this notebook (T21 =
2647-4AU) - up to now it has been running Win XP only, as I had already =
Linux on my TP600 and did not have time to reinstall, until now :-)

Fedora installation went more or less OK, despite complaining about =
partition table, but GRUB configuration seems to be correct and I dual =
boot. As usually a lot of small things remain and I am currently =
fighting with power management and sound.

I tried using both APM and ACPI with mixed results. With APM (machine =
has latest BIOS installed) I can *almost* suspend but various strange =
things happen - for example after Fn-F4 screen goes blank, but fan stays =
on and computer refuses to complete the cycle.=20
ACPI seems to be better. Fedora did not have acpi/events configured, but =
at least the sleep button (Fn-F4) and lid are recognized (but no Fn-F3 =
and Fn-F12 - is it possible to make them usable?), and echo 3 > =
/proc/acpi/sleep puts the machine correctly to standby, so I added =
apropriate script and can now use Fn-F4. With ACPI this machine has =
however one very annoying problem - when the CPU is put into C3 power =
mode (when computer is more or less idle for a while, as seen in =
/proc/acpi/processor/CPU/power ) the speakers start emiting strange high =
pitched sound. In Win XP it is also happening, but apparently Windows =
uses this state only when the machine is on battery power, while in =
linux it happens also when mains powered. Now - with cat =
/proc/acpi/processor/CPU/power I can read the current power state, but =
is it possible to set it? (or - even better - to restrict CPU power =
management only to C0, C1, C2, or switch this functionality completely =
off?). The power consumption does not really matter when I am not using =
battery, and this sound is simply driving me nuts :-)

Another thing - sound configuration. The ALSA drivers supplied with =
Fedora work fine (snd-cs46xx module) but I do not have any synth =
capability (for playing MIDI files for example). After reading ALSA =
pages I am not sure (:-) if this card has a hardware synthetiser built =
in, and if ALSA driver supports it (but - in WinXP it seemed to be =
working, but it might have been using some kind of software synthetiser) =
so any information would helpful. Just in case I dowloaded and compiled =
newest stable ALSA drivers, but these seem to behave the same way. In =
KDE Info Center I see remark about 'not enabling in configure' next to =
Synth device. What could it mean?=20

Many thanks in advance for suggestions & hints.=20

Piotr Gawrysiak=20

------=_NextPart_000_000C_01C44015.E75FC280

<HTML><HEAD>
charset=3Diso-8859-2">
<STYLE></STYLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY bgColor=3D#ffffff>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>Sorry for multiple postings (if any=20
;-)</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>I decided to give final Fedora Core 2 a =
try on this=20
notebook (T21 2647-4AU) - up to now it has been running Win XP only, as =
I had=20
already Linux on my TP600 and did not have time to reinstall, until now=20
:-)</FONT></DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>Fedora installation went more or less =
OK, despite=20
complaining about partition table, but GRUB configuration seems to be =
correct=20
and I dual boot. As usually a lot of small things remain and I am =
currently=20
fighting with power management and sound.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>I tried using both APM and ACPI with =
mixed results.=20
With APM (machine has latest BIOS installed) I can *almost* suspend but =
various=20
strange things happen - for example after Fn-F4 screen goes blank, but =
fan stays=20
on and computer refuses to complete the cycle. <BR>ACPI seems to be =
better.=20
Fedora did not have acpi/events configured, but at least the sleep =
button=20
(Fn-F4) and lid are recognized (but no Fn-F3 and Fn-F12 - is it possible =
to make=20
them usable?), and echo 3 &gt; /proc/acpi/sleep puts the machine =
correctly to=20
standby, so I added apropriate script and can now use Fn-F4. With ACPI =
this=20
machine has however one very annoying problem - when the CPU is put into =
C3=20
power mode (when computer is more or less idle for a while, as seen in=20
/proc/acpi/processor/CPU/power ) the speakers start emiting strange high =
pitched=20
sound. In Win XP it is also happening, but apparently Windows uses this =
state=20
only when the machine is on battery power, while in linux it happens =
also when=20
mains powered. Now - with cat /proc/acpi/processor/CPU/power I can read =
the=20
current power state, but is it possible to set it? (or - even better - =
to=20
restrict CPU power management only to C0, C1, C2, or switch this =
functionality=20
completely off?). The power consumption does not really matter when I am =
not=20
using battery, and this sound is simply driving me nuts :-)</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>Another thing - sound configuration. =
The ALSA=20
drivers supplied with Fedora work fine (snd-cs46xx module) but I do not =
have any=20
synth capability (for playing MIDI files for example). After reading =
ALSA pages=20
I am not sure (:-) if this card has a hardware synthetiser built in, and =
if ALSA=20
driver supports it (but - in WinXP it seemed to be working, but it might =
have=20
been using some kind of software synthetiser) so any information would =
helpful.=20
Just in case I dowloaded and compiled newest stable ALSA drivers, but =
these seem=20
to behave the same way. In KDE Info Center I see remark about 'not =
enabling in=20
configure' next to Synth device. What could it mean? </FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>Many thanks in advance for suggestions =
&amp;=20
hints.&nbsp;</FONT></DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>Piotr Gawrysiak</FONT><FONT =
face=3DArial=20
size=3D2>&nbsp;<BR></FONT></DIV></BODY></HTML>

------=_NextPart_000_000C_01C44015.E75FC280--