[ltp] T21 FC2 Alsa & ACPI problems

Piotr Gawrysiak linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Sat, 22 May 2004 17:53:17 +0200

------=_NextPart_000_0072_01C44025.A9DEE020

OK, at least I figured out the audio problem - T21 does not have any =
synthesizer built in :-) In WinXP all MIDI is played by software =
synthesizer provided by Microsoft (with Roland sound fonts). For linux I =
guess I can get similar functionality with Timidity, it should be =
possible to create a "virtual" ALSA synth device with it (if anyone =
tried it - pls. let me know)...

Piotr
  ----- Original Message -----=20
  From: Piotr Gawrysiak=20
  To: linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org=20
  Sent: Saturday, May 22, 2004 4:00 PM
  Subject: [ltp] T21 FC2 Alsa & ACPI problems

  Sorry for multiple postings (if any ;-)

  I decided to give final Fedora Core 2 a try on this notebook (T21 =
2647-4AU) - up to now it has been running Win XP only, as I had already =
Linux on my TP600 and did not have time to reinstall, until now :-)

  Fedora installation went more or less OK, despite complaining about =
partition table, but GRUB configuration seems to be correct and I dual =
boot. As usually a lot of small things remain and I am currently =
fighting with power management and sound.

  I tried using both APM and ACPI with mixed results. With APM (machine =
has latest BIOS installed) I can *almost* suspend but various strange =
things happen - for example after Fn-F4 screen goes blank, but fan stays =
on and computer refuses to complete the cycle.=20
  ACPI seems to be better. Fedora did not have acpi/events configured, =
but at least the sleep button (Fn-F4) and lid are recognized (but no =
Fn-F3 and Fn-F12 - is it possible to make them usable?), and echo 3 > =
/proc/acpi/sleep puts the machine correctly to standby, so I added =
apropriate script and can now use Fn-F4. With ACPI this machine has =
however one very annoying problem - when the CPU is put into C3 power =
mode (when computer is more or less idle for a while, as seen in =
/proc/acpi/processor/CPU/power ) the speakers start emiting strange high =
pitched sound. In Win XP it is also happening, but apparently Windows =
uses this state only when the machine is on battery power, while in =
linux it happens also when mains powered. Now - with cat =
/proc/acpi/processor/CPU/power I can read the current power state, but =
is it possible to set it? (or - even better - to restrict CPU power =
management only to C0, C1, C2, or switch this functionality completely =
off?). The power consumption does not really matter when I am not using =
battery, and this sound is simply driving me nuts :-)

  Another thing - sound configuration. The ALSA drivers supplied with =
Fedora work fine (snd-cs46xx module) but I do not have any synth =
capability (for playing MIDI files for example). After reading ALSA =
pages I am not sure (:-) if this card has a hardware synthetiser built =
in, and if ALSA driver supports it (but - in WinXP it seemed to be =
working, but it might have been using some kind of software synthetiser) =
so any information would helpful. Just in case I dowloaded and compiled =
newest stable ALSA drivers, but these seem to behave the same way. In =
KDE Info Center I see remark about 'not enabling in configure' next to =
Synth device. What could it mean?=20

  Many thanks in advance for suggestions & hints.=20

  Piotr Gawrysiak=20

------=_NextPart_000_0072_01C44025.A9DEE020

<HTML><HEAD>
charset=3Diso-8859-2">
<STYLE></STYLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY bgColor=3D#ffffff>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>OK, at least I figured out the audio =
problem - T21=20
does not have any synthesizer built in :-) In WinXP all MIDI is played =
by=20
software synthesizer provided by Microsoft (with Roland sound fonts). =
For linux=20
I guess I can get similar functionality with Timidity, it should be =
possible to=20
create a "virtual" ALSA synth device with it (if anyone tried it - pls. =
let me=20
know)...</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>Piotr</FONT></DIV>
<BLOCKQUOTE dir=3Dltr=20
  <DIV=20
black"><B>From:</B>=20
  <A title=3Dpgawrysiak@supermedia.pl =
href=3D"mailto:pgawrysiak@supermedia.pl">Piotr=20
  Gawrysiak</A> </DIV>
  title=3Dlinux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org=20
  =
href=3D"mailto:linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org">linux-thinkpad@linux-th=
inkpad.org</A>=20
  </DIV>
  <DIV style=3D"FONT: 10pt arial"><B>Sent:</B> Saturday, May 22, 2004 =
4:00=20
PM</DIV>
  <DIV style=3D"FONT: 10pt arial"><B>Subject:</B> [ltp] T21 FC2 Alsa =
&amp; ACPI=20
  problems</DIV>
  <DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2></FONT><FONT face=3DArial =
size=3D2></FONT><BR></DIV>
  <DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>Sorry for multiple postings (if any=20
  ;-)</FONT></DIV>
  <DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>I decided to give final Fedora Core 2 =
a try on=20
  this notebook (T21 2647-4AU) - up to now it has been running Win XP =
only, as I=20
  had already Linux on my TP600 and did not have time to reinstall, =
until now=20
  :-)</FONT></DIV>
  <DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>Fedora installation went more or less =
OK, despite=20
  complaining about partition table, but GRUB configuration seems to be =
correct=20
  and I dual boot. As usually a lot of small things remain and I am =
currently=20
  fighting with power management and sound.</FONT></DIV>
  <DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>I tried using both APM and ACPI with =
mixed=20
  results. With APM (machine has latest BIOS installed) I can *almost* =
suspend=20
  but various strange things happen - for example after Fn-F4 screen =
goes blank,=20
  but fan stays on and computer refuses to complete the cycle. <BR>ACPI =
seems to=20
  be better. Fedora did not have acpi/events configured, but at least =
the sleep=20
  button (Fn-F4) and lid are recognized (but no Fn-F3 and Fn-F12 - is it =

  possible to make them usable?), and echo 3 &gt; /proc/acpi/sleep puts =
the=20
  machine correctly to standby, so I added apropriate script and can now =
use=20
  Fn-F4. With ACPI this machine has however one very annoying problem - =
when the=20
  CPU is put into C3 power mode (when computer is more or less idle for =
a while,=20
  as seen in /proc/acpi/processor/CPU/power ) the speakers start emiting =
strange=20
  high pitched sound. In Win XP it is also happening, but apparently =
Windows=20
  uses this state only when the machine is on battery power, while in =
linux it=20
  happens also when mains powered. Now - with cat =
/proc/acpi/processor/CPU/power=20
  I can read the current power state, but is it possible to set it? (or =
- even=20
  better - to restrict CPU power management only to C0, C1, C2, or =
switch this=20
  functionality completely off?). The power consumption does not really =
matter=20
  when I am not using battery, and this sound is simply driving me nuts=20
  :-)</FONT></DIV>
  <DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>Another thing - sound configuration. =
The ALSA=20
  drivers supplied with Fedora work fine (snd-cs46xx module) but I do =
not have=20
  any synth capability (for playing MIDI files for example). After =
reading ALSA=20
  pages I am not sure (:-) if this card has a hardware synthetiser built =
in, and=20
  if ALSA driver supports it (but - in WinXP it seemed to be working, =
but it=20
  might have been using some kind of software synthetiser) so any =
information=20
  would helpful. Just in case I dowloaded and compiled newest stable =
ALSA=20
  drivers, but these seem to behave the same way. In KDE Info Center I =
see=20
  remark about 'not enabling in configure' next to Synth device. What =
could it=20
  mean? </FONT></DIV>
  <DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>Many thanks in advance for =
suggestions &amp;=20
  hints.&nbsp;</FONT></DIV>
  <DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
  <DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>Piotr Gawrysiak</FONT><FONT =
face=3DArial=20
  size=3D2>&nbsp;<BR></FONT></DIV></BLOCKQUOTE></BODY></HTML>

------=_NextPart_000_0072_01C44025.A9DEE020--