[ltp] Thinkpad R40 and IrDA to a mobile phone

Konstantin linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Mon, 24 May 2004 09:22:49 +0200

hi,

the module for my IRDA port on a T40 is "nsc-ircc", maybe it's the same.

try this commands to get irda working:

root# irattach -s irda0
root# irdadump -i irda0

you should be able to see the incoming data from your mobile phone to the laptop. The Name of your mobile phone will stay between the whole output. But the first step for you is to see any output from irdadump.
(Don't forget to kill all running irattach, if it doesn't work)

If you can see your mobile phone connecting your laptop, you can attach it to the ttyS0 with this:
root# irattach irda0 /dev/ttyS0
or similar, try to play around with irattach and read the man pages.

I could connect my Siemens SL45 and a Nokia 6210 to the irda interface.

good luck and contact me for further questions.

Greetz

Konstantin

On Sun, 23 May 2004 19:18:06 +0100
Tony Whitmore <tonywhitmore@users.sourceforge.net> wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I've been trying to get my mobile phone and laptop talking under Linux.
> All I really want to achieve is the ability to use my mobile phone (a
> Samsung A300) to provide dial-up internet access to my laptop. (My
> laptop is an IBM ThinkPad R40.) The infrared port is based on an IBM
> chipset.
>
> The good news is that I tested this under Windows, and after a bit of
> playing around with distances, I got the two talking and was even able
> to log into IRC. However, I've not been as successful under Linux,
> specifically Debian Unstable.
>
> I've installed the irda-utils package, and have read through the
> Infrared HOWTO. However, I'm falling at an early hurdle, because I can't
> seem to detect my IrDA port under Linux at all! I have read that the
> IrDA interface has changed under 2.6 and most documentation hasn't yet
> been updated to reflect this.
>
> This page[1] suggests that the port is only able to support SIR (rather
> than FIR) which is fine with me. I have ensured that the various IrDA
> modules are compiled (including IrTTY support). I have also added serial
> support to the kernel, because, as I understand it, it is essentially a
> "serial modem over Infrared" setup. lsmod shows the irda module is
> loaded during system boot. According to the HOWTO, dmesg should show
> information about the tty that the IrDA port is attached to. However, it
> doesn't:
> tony@davros:~$ dmesg | grep tty
> tony@davros:~$ dmesg | grep Serial
>    Serial sub-system self-test: passed.
> Serial: 8250/16550 driver $Revision: 1.90 $ 8 ports, IRQ sharing disabled
>
> scanport also doesn't show an IrDA port. So, it looks like something is
> missing, possibly kernel-wise, that is preventing the kernel from
> connecting the IrDA port to a tty. Does anyone have any ideas what I
> should try?
>
> Cheers,
>
> Tony Whitmore
>
> [1]http://aloofhosting.com/gillion/ibmr40-details.html
> --

Building an operating system without source code is like buying