[ltp] Re: Backing up the Predesktop Area?

Daniel Pittman linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Sat, 22 May 2004 13:32:29 +1000

On 22 May 2004, Didrik Pinte wrote:
> One important thing about the recovery cd's : you can't reinstall
> windows XP only using the recovery cd's. Those cd's will automatically
> erase the first partition called hda1 !

Actually, worse than that, they will erase both 'hda1' *and* the
partition located at the physical start of the disk.

OTOH, they usually[1] respect any other partition, so I did my dual-boot
install by:

1. obtain the recovery CD set
2. create hda1 at the start of the disk, 10GB in size
3. create hda2 following that, for the rest of the space
4. "recover" XP on my system

This resulted in a 10GB install of XP. I think installed Debian on the
rest, and was quite happy until I gave up on dual boot and went Linux
only.

        Daniel

Footnotes:
[1]  I have heard a small number of people say that this did not hold
     true for them, but mostly success.

--
A LISP programmer knows the value of everything,
but the cost of nothing.