[ltp] Moving Video Won't Display on External Monitor of Thinkpad R32

Matt Graham linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Mon, 24 May 2004 13:51:27 -0400

On Monday 24 May 2004 13:12, after a long battle with technology,
morpheus wrote:
> I'm running FC1 kernel 2.4.22-1.2188.nptl, I've looked everywhere
> (including the archives of this site) to find out how to display
> video on the external monitor under Linux.

No, you haven't.  I've talked about this problem on comp.os.linux.x a
few times, but I'll repeat my answer again for the list's benefit.

> run mplayer to watch a movie, I can > see it on the internal LCD but
> the external display shows a black square.  Everything else (graphics,
> etc.) displays fine.

mplayer is using XV to display the movie.  Most video cards have only 1
XV video overlay buffer, and that buffer is usually locked to the first
monitor.  You can use mplayer -vo X11 or you can use a video-card
specific option to force the video overlay buffer to the second
monitor.

> XF86Config attached:
[massive snip, next time, only give the relevant parts]

> Section "Monitor"
> 	Identifier   "Monitor0"
> 	HorizSync    31.5 - 48.5
> 	VertRefresh  40.0 - 70.0

If you wish to use resolutions other than the LCD's native resolution,
you may have to increase the Hsync and Vsync ranges.

> Section "Device"
> 	Driver      "radeon"

If you want to have the video overlay on the second head, put the line
   Option "OverlayOnCRTC2" "true"
in the Device section.  Look at the man page for radeon for the full
scoop on what this option does.  You will not be able to use overlay on
the LCD then.  Or you can use the -vo X11 option to mplayer, which will
always work at the cost of more CPU time and possibly dropped frames.
HTH,

--
   I have to carry this axe.
   It's part of my anger management therapy.