[ltp] 760XL with a BIG HD Problem

Brian Beattie linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Mon, 24 May 2004 20:23:30 -0400

--=-bj0yyG+0ey53L0hjwOE4

On Mon, 2004-05-24 at 16:39, Adam Southerland wrote:
> Good Day...
>=20
> I am attempting to Install Slackware 9.1 on my 760XL but I have a problem=
>=20
> First the Floppy and CDRom are swappable. I'm not able to pause the booti=
ng=20
> process for the kernel to detect it.
>=20
> Second, the only NIC I have with me is an RTL8139 and with my Laptop, the=
=20
> 8139too driver fails so installation over NFS doesn't work...
>=20
> third, I have a single HD system so I can't slave the big drive to instal=
l=20
> Linux on..
>=20
> forth, Windows DOS and MS DOS and PC DOS *ALL* fail  to boot with a=20
> partition on the hard disk (the 6Gb limit thing) -- IBM DOS seems to work=
=20
> though (comes with PowerQuest image center) - I don't have enough DOS fil=
es=20
> to boot Linux from it.
>=20
> fifth, I could cry... Anyone have any ideas for me? (I have NOT tried=20
> freedos)
>=20
> If I can get a DOS installed I can use LOADLIN to start the Linux INSTALL=
=20
> with my CDROM drive detected... -- Note my Big Drive is a 10Gb Hard drive=
 -=20
> I tried making it say it was a 4Gb with the Hitachi util, but DOS still=20
> didn't like it.

If you can get smart boot (btmgr) installed on the hard drive it will
boot from a CDROM drive, I have done this with my 760ED.

>=20
> Thanks!
> Adam
>=20
> Learn to simplify your finances and your life in Streamline Your Life fro=
m=20
> MSN Money. http://special.msn.com/money/0405streamline.armx
--=20
Brian Beattie            | Experienced kernel hacker/embedded systems
beattie@beattie-home.net | programmer, direct or contract, short or
www.beattie-home.net     | long term, available immediately.

"Honor isn't about making the right choices.
It's about dealing with the consequences." -- Midori Koto

--=-bj0yyG+0ey53L0hjwOE4

--=-bj0yyG+0ey53L0hjwOE4--