[ltp] 760XL with a BIG HD Problem

Adam Southerland linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Tue, 25 May 2004 15:28:28 +0000

>From: Chris Schumann <cschumann@twp-llc.com>
>To: linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
>Subject: Re: [ltp] 760XL with a BIG HD Problem
>Date: Tue, 25 May 2004 09:44:16 -0500 (CDT)
>
>Just one data point for you. I had a Micron Millennia Pro 2 computer that
>came with a 2GB hard drive (dual Pentium Pro CPUs!). When I upgraded to an
>8GB drive, I found that ANY DOS partition at all on the drive would make
>DOS not boot.

This is one of my problems... DOS, Windows 9x DOS, Windows 2000 even fails
to boot (I put an Imaged copy on it to see)

>I believe it was a bug in the BIOS that reported the number of heads as
>256, which would read as zero. It freaked out DOS, but every other OS I
>tried worked fine.
>
>If you don't have the latest BIOS, go get it. If you do, then this still
>might be the issue. Maybe one if these ideas will work for you:

I do have the latest BIOS update =(

>1 - Buy a floppy enclosure. They are on eBay for under $10 all the time.

I'm afraid to spend to much money on this ancient thing...

>2 - Buy a different NIC. They are like $2 used.

I have 4 but It seems I have to install Drivers for all but 1 of them but
the new Linux's PCMCIA drivers fail with this laptop.

>3 - Make a network boot floppy that actually works with your card. Seems
>like a lot of work to me, though.

I have done this with a DOS boot disk -- Gets simple after a while -- I even
have a DOS Network disk with a Wireless Card! (Cisco Aironet 350 series --
Cisco is the ONLY company that has DOS Drivers for it's wireless cards... (I
actually contacted Intel, LinkSys, RealTek, Encore (didn't respond), and a
few other Big name companys))

>4 - Sell the 760XL and get something a little more recent. I could never
>get sound to work on my 750P (with its awesome 33MHz 486 and 12MB RAM).
>I'm glad to be rid of it.

Thinking about it... If I sell it I'm out a laptop until I get a newer
one... Newer ones are bigger than my budget =( - I'll keep what I have at
the moment =)

I have gotten everything to work on this Laptop in ALL OS's I have tried
with the Exception of the IRDA and thats because I don't know enough about
how it works...

Thanks,
Adam Southerland

Learn to simplify your finances and your life in Streamline Your Life from
MSN Money. http://special.msn.com/money/0405streamline.armx