[ltp] Kernel 2.6 and two mice

Edi Weitz linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Wed, 26 May 2004 12:00:42 +0200

By the way, just to clear this up a little:

If I use udev I can see more clearly what's happening. If I have the
USB mouse plugged in it's available as /dev/input/mouse1. If I unplug
it this device is gone. If I re-plug it, /dev/input/mouse1 is again
there and can be queried with cat.

However, this is only true if X is not running! With a running X
server and my XF86Config entry for /dev/input/mouse1 unplugging and
re-plugging results in the creation of a new device /dev/input/mouse2
while the old one is still there but unusable. It looks like the X
server is sticking to /dev/input/mouse1 which therefore can't be
removed by udev, so udev creates a new device.

I think this aligns with James Hawtin's explanation. It still doesn't
solve my problem, though... :)

Cheers,
Edi.