[ltp] R50p Docking Problems

Joshua Megerman linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Thu, 27 May 2004 14:31:09 -0400

On Thursday 27 May 2004 13:55, Joshua Megerman wrote:
> I recently setup my R50p and Thinkpad Dock II to replace the docking
> station for my old laptop.  Unfortunately, the USB ports on teh dock didn't
> work, si I called IBM.  Replacing the dock didn't resolve the issue, though
> it was determined that the ports worked during POST and not after (USB HDD
> powers up when the system turns on, and powers down hard when POST finishes
> and GRUB comes up).  USB ports on the laptop proper work while docked, but
> not in the dock itself.  This occurred all the way up through BIOS 3.04a.
>
> So we suspect that the system board needs replacing, and after a couple
> tries (typo on the phone #, wrong part shipped) the board was just
> replaced.  Same problem, even with the latest (3.05a) BIOS.  So I grab a
> W2K install CD and lo and behold, the problem doesn't happen.  So the
> problem has to be with GRUB...  Has anyone seen/heard of this before?  I'm
> tempted to switch to LILO and see if that resolves the issue, but I'd
> prefer to make GRUB work.

Switching to LILO only delays the shutdown - now it shuts down after the
kernel BIOS Data Check completes and the framebuffer console kicks in...

> Additionally, now my thinkpad doesn't recognize when it is docked - it just
> doesn't see it.  I'm going to try downgrading to BIOS 3.04a, but if that
> doesn't solve it I may have to ask for my old mobo back just to let me use
> my scripts for startup configuration based on docking status...

This one was a power problem - I had inadvertantly kicked the switch on the
power strip when I plugged the dock back in after moving it - everything else
worked though, so I didn't suspect it was power until the BIOS upgrade asked
me to plug it in first... :)

Is there anyone else out there using a T4x(p)/R5x(p) with a dock who is having
this same problem or has USB on the dock working?  Also, this is the full
Dock (PCI slot and all), and I'm wondering if that's part of the problem...

Thanks again,

Josh
--
Joshua Megerman
SJGames MIB #5273 - OGRE AI Testing Division