[ltp] 770z sound (FC2 ALSA)

Mendel Cooper linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Fri, 28 May 2004 10:40:09 -0700 (MST)

On Fri, 28 May 2004, Duncan John Fyfe wrote:

> More questions ....
>
> What do you have in your  modules.conf ?
> Something like:
>
> alias char-major-116 snd
> options snd cards_limit=4
> alias snd-card-0 snd-cs4236
> options snd-cs4232 port=0x530 irq=5 mpu_port=330 mpu_irq=5 dma1=1 dma2=0
>
>  ...OSS Emulation stuff...

I've tried something close to this, and also various modules.conf entries
that people on this group have posted that supposedly work for the cs4232
under ALSA. No success so far.

> How is /dev managed ? (static, devfs , udev ?) and is it configured correctly ?
> I have had this kind of problem because of a mis-configured devfs - it didn't have
> entries for everything the sound card needed.

I imagine devfs, since I think that's what's standard for 2.6.x. I'll check
the configs there.

> > > 	Given the afore mentioned modules.conf what messages are generated when you 'modprobe
> > > 	snd-card-0' manually.
>
> Should be the same.  snd-card-0 should be an alias to snd-cs4232.

No such module.

> Is PNPBIOS enabled in your kernel ?  Unless you need it for other things I suggest disabling it.

I'm using the stock kernel that installed with FC2, so I don't know. I may
have to build a custom kernel . . . haven't done that for a few years <g>.

Meanwhile I got some info from http://alsa.opensrc.org. Hopefully, that'll
help.

Mendel