[ltp] BIOS-Update (R40)

Heiko Rosemann linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Sat, 29 May 2004 19:39:47 +0200 (CEST)

On Sat, 29 May 2004, Marius Gedminas wrote:

> On Fri, May 28, 2004 at 11:13:41PM +0200, Heiko Rosemann wrote:
> > > Or if you want to be really cool, you can take the floppy image, save it
> > > in /boot, and then put an entry for it in your grub config and just
> > > reboot and save yourself a cd.
> >
> > <singing>Don't have to be cool</singing> *scnr*
> >
> > But what I really wanted to mention: Of course Lilo can do this as well.
>
> Details, please.

I just put

image = /boot/paud-1.0.3.img
label = parted

in my /etc/lilo.conf. That's it. Tried with both the memtest86 bootdisk and
the Parted And Utilities Disk image to be written to a floppy drive.
(paud.sourceforge.net, FYI) Didn't try this with a Microsoft-OS bootdisk,
IIRC, but I cannot see any reasons why this wouldn't work if it does work
with other systems and even the 'system-less' memdisk bootdisk.

HTH, Heiko

P.S: Don't forget to run /sbin/lilo *g*
P.P.S: You can even have your lilo boot from floppy disks - by using the
normal

other = /dev/fd0
label = floppy

and inserting a (bootable) floppy disk in /dev/fd0 while running
/sbin/lilo... unfortunately, this does not work with (bootable) CDs.
--
 * WARNING! The USB documentation is downright evil. Most of it
 * is just crap, written by a committee. You're better off ignoring