[ltp] BIOS-Update (R40)

Sat, 29 May 2004 23:22:27 +0300

--NzB8fVQJ5HfG6fxh

On Sat, May 29, 2004 at 07:39:47PM +0200, Heiko Rosemann wrote:
[... booting a floppy image with LILO ...]
> > Details, please.
>=20
> I just put
>=20
> image =3D /boot/paud-1.0.3.img
> label =3D parted
>=20
> in my /etc/lilo.conf. That's it. Tried with both the memtest86 bootdisk a=
nd
> the Parted And Utilities Disk image to be written to a floppy drive.
> (paud.sourceforge.net, FYI) Didn't try this with a Microsoft-OS bootdisk,
> IIRC, but I cannot see any reasons why this wouldn't work if it does work
> with other systems and even the 'system-less' memdisk bootdisk.

Interesting.  I tried something like this once, when I had a floppy
image that would create a hibernation file on my FAT32 partition, but I
couldn't make it work.  I then decided that LILO was just chain-loading
the boot record from the floppy image, and that the boot record itself was
trying to access the floppy disk directly.  I finally gave up and burned
a bootable CD-RW from that image.

All that was a while ago, so pehaps I was doing it differently.  It is
quite possible that I dd'ed the floppy image to my swap partition and
tried to use LILO's other=3D/dev/hdXX.  It never occurred to me to try
image=3D, as that's so obviously only designed to work with Linux kernel
images, isn't it?  ;-)

Thanks for the information.

Marius Gedminas
--=20
The IQ of the group is the lowest IQ of a member of
the group divided by the number of people in the group.

--NzB8fVQJ5HfG6fxh

--NzB8fVQJ5HfG6fxh--