[ltp] 770z sound (FC2 ALSA)

Mendel Cooper linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Sat, 29 May 2004 21:21:03 -0700 (MST)

On Fri, 28 May 2004, Duncan John Fyfe wrote:

> or your stock kernel does not include the cs4232 module.
>
> Try 'find /lib/modules -name snd-cs4232\*' as root and see if it finds something.  If not you'll need
> to do some module compiling.   You shouldn't need to build the whole kernel, just the
> pertinent alsa modules.

The cs4232 module is indeed there. It's in the /lib/modules/2.6xx/kernel/
tree. It's called snd-cs423.ko. Strangely enough, it's in the
"isa" subdirectory, instead of in the "pci" one where I think it
belongs. Shouldn't make a difference, though.

Funny thing, though, modprobe refuses to load the snd-cs4232 module. Gives
the "device not found" error. But... modprobe *will* load the snd-cs46xx
module, though with a cryptic error message. Modprobe also loads the
sdn-sb-common (Sound Blaster) module. But though these modules load,
neither of them will produce sound.

Darn it, the modprobe ought to work. It's indicative of something wrong
that it doesn't.

Maybe I'll have to compile a custom kernel without ALSA support and
revert back to OSS. I *know* OSS works flawlessly with the CS4232.

. . . Still haven't heard from anyone who got ALSA to work on a
TP770. Maybe it doesn't.