[ltp] Re: Average Thinkpad T40 battery life

edonia linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Sun, 30 May 2004 23:43:26 +0800

Am Fri, 28 May 2004 07:47:43 -0700 schrieb Crispin Cowan:

> Binary Xerroz wrote:
>
>> Any! if you have multiple and get different times, list them both
>>
>> but if your asking me, currently i have the standard battery to
>> reiterate:
>> ACPI C3: nearly 5 hours
>> ACPI C2: apx 3 hours
>
> Uh ... I'm confused. I looked up what C2 and C3 are, and can't figure out
> how or if I might get my machine into those states. What I do know, all
> using ACPI and Linux:

you may look here:
http://acpi.sourceforge.net/documentation/processor.html

When power management is available, the ACPI system can put the CPU into a
sleep state (C2 or C3) when the computer is not using
100% of the CPU's capabilities. This saves power, lowers the temperature
and thus prolonges the life of your CPU.

if you using the 2.6 Kernel, you could switch by the following commands

echo -n "powersave" >
/sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu0/cpufreq/scaling_governor

you can choose between:
perfomance, userspace oder powersave

or just using something like powernowd, it is easy to configure and do all
the job for you:
http://www.deater.net/john/powernowd.html

edonia