[ltp] OT: Anyone tried a Zaurus clamshell unit?

Mon, 31 May 2004 09:14:58 -0400

--=_alternative 0048C4CE85256EA5_=

> Has anyone on this list ordered one of the Sharp Zaurus C units? They're

> foldup mini laptops that run Linux and use a version of Qt Embedded.
They
> haven't been released outside of Japan but can be bought via importers
like
> ShirtPocket (EU) and Dynamism (US).

I picked up a C860 while I was in tokyo over new year, they're a great
little machine. I replaced the Sharp rom image on mine with the open
embeedded kernel and apps. For me it was the only way to get an english
interface on the machine. The ones that are imported through the
distributors (e.g. Dynamism) already have a english conversion on them.

The only real annoyance is that the wireless is a plug in card so the
antenna sticks out and the apps are still being worked on. I use it as a
pda and remote terminal when mobile.

Unless you really need the clamshell/180 degree rotating screen (which,
admittably is cool) it may be better to wait for the SL6000 which has
built-in wireless and acts as a usb host.

Mike

--=_alternative 0048C4CE85256EA5_=

Zaurus C units? They're <br>
&gt; foldup mini laptops that run Linux and use a version of Qt Embedded.
They <br>
&gt; haven't been released outside of Japan but can be bought via importers
like <br>
&gt; ShirtPocket (EU) and Dynamism (US).</tt></font>
they're a great little machine. I replaced the Sharp rom image on mine
with the open embeedded kernel and apps. For me it was the only way to
get an english interface on the machine. The ones that are imported through
the distributors (e.g. Dynamism) already have a english conversion on them.
</tt></font>
plug in card so the antenna sticks out and the apps are still being worked
on. I use it as a pda and remote terminal when mobile. </tt></font>
screen (which, admittably is cool) it may be better to wait for the SL6000
which has built-in wireless and acts as a usb host. &nbsp;</tt></font>
--=_alternative 0048C4CE85256EA5_=--