[ltp] Re: Re: Good FS for laptop

Mon, 31 May 2004 22:03:31 +0300

--4Ckj6UjgE2iN1+kY

On Mon, May 31, 2004 at 10:19:00PM +0800, edonia wrote:
> I'm using of course reiserfs, since about 2 years and had no problems at
> all.
> the speed incresing is amazing, it feels sometimes like the 10 times
> faster, and in realty it goes up to 12 times faster, depends on the
> filesize...

Is this based on your perceptions, or did you actually perform
measurements?

I tried some simple benchmarking (creating several thousand empty files
in a single directory and removing them) on both ext3 and reiserfs.  I
was *very* surprised to discover that ext3 was slightly faster.  Maybe
it is because I used reiserfs 3, and not 4.

Reiserfs, however, is more space-efficient, due to tail packing.  I won
about 100 Mb of extra free space when I switched from ext3 to reiserfs
on a 700 Mb partition.

> my testing system (have a backup of course), i did start, make a suspend
> to disk, don't wake up afterwards, so i need to reset it. So did this
> about 100 times....no problems with reiser at all!!

Good for you.  For me, on every single crash that <censored> reiserfs
used to corrupt /etc/modules.conf, rendering my system unbootable.  I
finally had enough and swithched back to ext3.

Marius Gedminas
--=20