[ltp] Re: some questions about linux and thinkpad

Daniel Pittman linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Mon, 01 Nov 2004 11:07:36 +1100

On 1 Nov 2004, Osho GG wrote:
> On Sun, 31 Oct 2004 14:51:11 -0800, Osho GG <oshogg@gmail.com> wrote:
>> ATI's cards have very bad linux drivers. Nvidia has much bad drivers
>
> OOps.. I meant Nvidia has much *better* drivers.. bad must have been
> ingrained in my brain because I am stuck with ATI's graphics card :).
>
>> for linux. So, if you care about 3d acceleration try to get a laptop
>> with Nvidia cards.

...for some values of better, at least.

The *proprietary* NVIDIA drivers seem to be much better than the
*proprietary* ATI drivers, under Linux.

OTOH, anything up to the (IIRC) RV250 or RV300 core has publicly
available documentation and, thus, fully open source 3D drivers.

ATI are also continuing their policy of releasing full documentation on
the chipsets after the competitive advantage has worn off them.

NVIDIA, to date, have show a reluctance to *ever* release their chipset
documentation.

So, I chose an ATI chipset because it may be less good today, but it is
going to be supported fully until people stop caring about it, rather
than just until the manufacturer declares it obsolete and stops
producing drivers for it.

You need to make your own call on that one, at the end of the day.

Regards,
        Daniel
--
A slipping gear could let your M203 grenade launcher fire when you least
expect it. That would make you quite unpopular in what's left of your unit.