[ltp] thinkpad without windows?

Eben King linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Mon, 1 Nov 2004 10:12:23 -0500 (EST)

On Mon, 1 Nov 2004, Fiz Vázquez wrote:

> El lun, 01-11-2004 a las 10:22, Jeff escribió:
> > On Monday 01 November 2004 01:02 pm, Fiz Vázquez wrote:
> > > hi all:
> > >
> > > do you know if there are any way to buy a thinkpad laptop wihtout
> > > windows licence? I am not going to use this Operative System, and i dont
> > > want to pay something that i am not going to use.
> > >
> > > thanks.
> >
> > Unless IBM has changed recently, you will actually pay more for a laptop
> > without Windows than you will for a laptop with Windows. The MS price
> > structure effectively pays vendors to install Windows. If it isn't
> > pre-installed, you are paying the difference plus the cost of installing
> > Linux.
>

> :(
>
>  ibm could sell laptops without operative systems. In this way i would
> not pay windows licence neither linux pre-installed.
>
> here in spain there are companys than sell computers (workstation, not
> laptops) with linux preinstalled (live-cd i think), so the people doesnt
> pay any extra money for the computer.

There are in the US too (http://penguincomputing.com/ is the first that
springs to mind), but thre are a lot fewer companies that sell laptops
for a savings with no OS or with Linux instead of Windows.  HP sells some
(all?) with SuSE (9.1?), but I don't believe they're cheaper.  You might
be interested in http://mcelrath.org/laptops.html .

A. A Top Poster
B. Who's there?
A. Knock-knock -- from bobward@xxx.com