[ltp] Shutting Down X when Suspending to Disk

Matt Graham linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Mon, 1 Nov 2004 14:33:58 -0500

On Monday 01 November 2004 13:47, after a long battle with technology,
James Mckenzie wrote:

Please don't top-post.  Message rearranged and context added for easier
reading comprehension.

>> On Sunday 31 October 2004 21:26, after a long battle with
>> technology, James McKenzie wrote:
>>> I searched the archives and could not find a method to kill off
>>> X when suspending to disk.  It is causing my A22p to appear as
>>> if it died after resuming.
>> Find your apmd config file.  The official location is
>> /etc/apmd_proxy or /etc/apm/apmd_proxy , but Fedora may have
>> screwed things around. This script is called with an argument of
>> "suspend" when you do "apm -s", but not called when you shut the lid.
> Actually, closing the lid on my A22p does suspend the system.

Shutting the lid *will* suspend-to-RAM (or suspend-to-disk if you've
used the BIOS or tpctl to make it do that); it just *won't* call the
apmd_proxy script when it should.  I thought this was clear in my
original post; guess not.  I don't know why this happens.

Suspend-to-RAM works fine with an A22p regardless of whether or not X is
running AFAICT.  I'm using APM and not ACPI though; ACPI wasn't ready
for prime time when I bought the laptop and APM still works fine for
the things I need to do--if it ain't broke, fix it until it *is*
broke... er, something like that :-)

> However, the screen never came back after.

Try doing Ctrl-Alt-F1 to switch to a text console before you
suspend-to-disk next time.  If that works, you won't have to kill X,
just put together a script that does "chvt 1 ; tpctl -H" and run it
when you want to suspend-to-disk.  The APM resume script can then call
"chvt 7" so you get back to X with a minimum of fuss.

> I have several problems with the system and I'm going to investigagte
> them

You might want to be more explicit about these problems.  Are you using
ACPI or APM?  What's the output of "uname -a"?  Are you using Xorg or
XFree86?  Is there anything in /var/log/messages
or /var/log/XFree86.0.log about an X failure when you resume from
suspend-to-disk?

--
   And I ruthlessly pay as little money as possible for as many french
   fries as I can, thanks to the evil tax dodge known as "Super Sizing."