[ltp] Re: thinkpad without windows?

Wed, 03 Nov 2004 22:04:39 +0100

On Mi, 2004-11-03 at 16:02 -0500, James Knott wrote:
> David Payne wrote:
> > I think IBM is more supportive of Linux when it is installed on a
> > server.  IBM thinks that the average user who is buying a laptop
> > shouldn't need to run Linux and that's why they say IBM suggests
> > Windows XP for their laptops.
>
> They made the same mistake with OS/2.  They don't seem to realize there
> are a lot of users, who insist on quality operating systems.

I'd guess that the users they are concerned with are the business users.
Usually those have the great luck of not being doomed to make their own
decisions about the OS that they are using, but have an IT department
and a management making those decisions for them. And those institutions
have the great luck of being doomed to think about financial
effectiveness more than about quality. And this is the great luck of MS,
since MS educated IT professionals are much cheaper than Linux educated
ones.

So IBM has the great luck of being doomed to give them what they want.
Not?

André.

PS: However, I'm glad i found ways to keep using my own Thinkpad at work
instead of having someone decide for a Dell for me. ;)