[ltp] hotplugging IDE-devices

Matt Graham linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Thu, 4 Nov 2004 15:40:44 -0500

On Thursday 04 November 2004 13:49, after a long battle with technology,=20
David Tansey wrote:
> On Sun, 2004-10-31 at 19:40 +0100, Andr=E9 Wyrwa wrote:
> > /usr/local/sbin/idectl 1 off
> Sorry this took so long Andre. It says "no such file or directory."
> Did you ever figure it out?

idectl is apparently a shell script that's supposed to be included in=20
the distribution tarball for hdparm. =20
http://www.mikehardy.net/linux_latitude_d800/idectl among other places. =20
The command that Andr=E9 wrote is roughly equivalent to

hdparm -U /dev/hdc

=2E..and so forth.  Apparently the -R option to hdparm requires a couple=20
of arguments that aren't documented (sigh).  Well, try it out and see=20
what you get.  The hdparm source tarball has a script in it that is=20
supposed to work with the Ultrabay on a Thinkpad 600E, so I'd use that=20
script as a starting point and tweak it until you're satisfied.  HTH,

=2D-=20
   I went to edit my info to change "system administrator type dude" to
   "porn star for hire", but all I got was a threat.
   --MegaHAL, trained on Netizen's quotes file