[ltp] Thinkpad buttons under 2.6.9?

Osho GG linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Sat, 6 Nov 2004 22:31:12 -0800

On Sat, 06 Nov 2004 18:22:26 -0500, Norman Walsh <ndw@nwalsh.com> wrote:

> Clues to get CD/DVD recording working under 2.6.9 on my T42p, most
> appreciated.

The issue, as I understrand, is the following. For a non-root user,
certain commands to CD/DVD drive are blocked by the kernel due to
security issues (For example, a non-root user should not be able to
change the firware on the CD/DVD driver). An undesirable side-effect
of this is that some cd/dvd recording utilities will also not work.

Here are some hints at getting it working.

1. Try to use k3b as a root user. First, make sure that it works as a
root user. If it doesn't work as root, you won't be able to get it
working otherwise.
2. If k3b works as root then try to use cdrecord from command line as
a normal user. As I understand cdrecord from command line should work.
3. If cdrecord from command line works as a regular user then try k3b
as a reglar user. I understand that this should not work as k3b uses
some extra CD/DVD drive commands.

Good luck,
Osho