[ltp] car and airplance adapter

James Knott linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Sun, 07 Nov 2004 08:06:55 -0500

Eben King wrote:
> On Sat, 6 Nov 2004, invisibleghost wrote:
>

>>Does anyone know where i can find a airplane and car
>>adapter for my ibm r50e do they make it for that laptop?
>

> I have an AC/DC adapter for my T40 (16 VDC, 4.55A).  Is it different?
> (Check your AC adapter.)  BTW, anybody know how they raise the voltage for
> DC?

They'd use a DC-DC converter.  The incoming power is converted to AC (at
a frequency much higher than normal power line AC), passed through a
transformer to increase the voltage and then rectified & regulated, to
produce the desired output.  That sort of thing is very easy to do and
common these days.  Even desktop computer power supplies work the same way.