[ltp] Data Extraction from HD

SOTL linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Sun, 7 Nov 2004 08:21:35 -0500

Hi All

For some reason or the other I attempted to view a web site that had a ja=
va=20
script which [before attempting to view was unknown to exist to me] that=20
trashed my home directory.=20

No big deal this has happened in the past and was easy to fix with my Man=
drake=20
9.1 DVD disk. Unfortunately I could not find at the time my 9.1 DVD disks=
=20
only my 9.2 CD disk so I decided to upgrade knowing that that had not bee=
n a=20
positive experience in the past.

Later I was to find that that was a very bad decision as my DVD CD reader=
 for=20
some reason does not like that particular set of CD so it futher trashed =
the=20
system. After screwing around with the system for several weeks attemptin=
g to=20
make it function in order to extract the data I finally gave up in disgus=
t=20
and purchased another HD and installed the system on it without my data.

Currently I have the old HD in a box and the hardware necessary to mount =
the=20
HD which was in my A30P Thinkpad in my desktop system.

The way the HD was set up was:
hda1    Windows XP        NFTS (sp=3D?)            15 GB
hda2    Data                   vfat (16/32=3D?)           20 GB
hda3    /boot                  ext3                         150 MB
hda4    /                        ext3                         10 GB
hda5    /home                ext3                          10 GB=20

GB sizes are approximate.

Anywar I can mount /boot, /, and /home which contain the operating system=
=2E
I am unable to mount hda2, Data.

Is there any means that I may copy the data from hda2 to a usable medium?

Thanks
Frank