[ltp] A warning - don't install Mandrake 10.1

Nick Bower linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Sat, 06 Nov 2004 16:04:55 +0100

This weekend I made a very poor decision to install Mandrake 10.1 on a
T42 - I thought it would be low risk becuase Mandrake 10 + 2.6.8.1
patched kernel worked unbelievably well.

However all supplied 2.6 kernels supplied hung on boot - much effort
later and removing the nolapic option stopped it hanging.  Momentarily I
had a bootable system.  However after I configured my network interface,
randomly an hour later a system hang forced a reboot.  And now again I
am locked out because the thing locks up on starting netprofile early in
the boot process.

So don't go near 10.1 if you have a thinkpad and expect a working system
after.  I can't even boot in failsafe mode to download a new kernel
right now.  What a joke.  Well done Mandrake!!

nick