[ltp] car and airplance adapter

Peter Stuge linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Sun, 7 Nov 2004 17:03:56 +0100

On Sun, Nov 07, 2004 at 09:07:53AM -0500, James Knott wrote:
> Peter Stuge wrote:
>
> >It's a pretty clever system where the voltage and current settings
> >are stored in the power tips.
>
> A tually, there wouldn't be a current setting, as the current
> required depends on the load, which changes during use.

Right again, of course. I was thinking along the lines of a minimum
expected current, to protect the adapter from overload, or a maximum
current, to protect the laptop. But, as you wrote, if the adapter
wasn't powerful enough it would just work at max capacity and the
laptop would use the battery for the rest. I still think overcurrent
protection could be useful though?

I'm glad I don't design power supplies for a living. ;) I'm not a
star at analog electronics but I'm learning.

//Peter