[ltp] A warning - don't install Mandrake 10.1

Ralf Nolden linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Mon, 08 Nov 2004 06:42:03 +0100

On Montag 08 November 2004 00:28, Greg Meyer wrote:

> Sorry, I can't disagree with you more.  I have 10.1 on a T41 and it the
> most stable distro I have ever had on it.  Everything works beautifully,
> except for having to recompile the kernel without local APIC support to get
> a complete shutdown, because, as you discovered, the nolapic boot parameter
> doesn't work anymore.  This is a pretty widly known bug in 2.6.7mm and
> later kernels.  Whatever patch that was in the 2.6.7-mm that caused this
> problem was merged into 2.6.8, so now it doesn't work in the mainline
> kernel either.

I'm running sarge with 2.6.8.1 standard i386 kernel from debian and the
nolapic parameter works just fine for me. Maybe you didn't update grub ?

Ralf
Ralf Nolden
nolden@kde.org