[ltp] "powerplay" under gnu/linux (and always on fan "feature")

Suso Baleato linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Mon, 08 Nov 2004 07:39:12 +0000

I think the trick to the fan problem is the PowerPlay support. I was
testing it with the factory-shipped-software, and GNU/ Linux (Debian) in
kernels from 2.4 to 2.6.9 with latests ACPI patchs, and different
combinations with X.org and XFree86 (I did not test the proprietary ATI
driver because it's proprietary).

The best results in GNU/ Linux are with 2.6.9, acpi-20041105 patch and
x.org with DynamicClocks plus noflushd and powernowd (laptop-mode not
tested yet).

In the factory-shipped-software, there is a relevant difference in the
behaviour of the fan when AC off (so BAT on). The fan stops inmediatly
when PowerPlay and PowerManagement configured to maximum powersave. This
might be because the videocard enters a very low-power state, so less
heating.

Surprisingly, in GNU/ Linux I found the same fan-on times with or without
powernowd in some circunstances. The diference was that with powernowd
the fan runs over 39 degrees, and without starts about 44, but te time
that the fan is on does not seems to depend on the CPU heating (under
low usage). It seems to be clearly related with the videocard, at least
in my case, with an ATI Radeon 7500 (tp R51).

O 2/11/2004, "obi" <graziano@cs.ucsb.edu> escribiu: