[ltp] Is it OK for Thinkpad users to install lm_sensors?

Philip Edelbrock linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Sat, 6 Nov 2004 14:37:51 -0800

On Nov 6, 2004, at 8:45 AM, Niel Lambrechts wrote:

>> On Fri, 5 Nov 2004, James PEARSON wrote:
>>
>>> So are any of you using "gkrellm" and " lm_sensors" on their
>>> Thinkpads? If so what models?
>>
>> I'm using gkrellm (but not lm_sensors... I was deterred by
>> the warning) on
>> my T40.  I saw no such dangerous warning with gkrellm.  It is
>> theoretically possible for gkrellm to get the battery info from ACPI.
>>
> I am using the "battery" ACPI module with gkrellm which provides this
> exact information.

FYI- Here's a doc from lm-sensors which explains the issue and what has
been done about it:

http://www2.lm-sensors.nu/~lm78/cvs/browse.cgi/lm_sensors2//
README.thinkpad

In a nutshell, if your Thinkpad doesn't have the particular RFID chip
with the buggy I2C state machine (Atmel 24RF08) then you are fine.  If
your Thinkpad does, then don' t run sensors-detect.  (Newer kernels
have Lm_sensors drivers that blacklist IBM's just to be safe, but why
chance it?)

Phil