[ltp] A warning - don't install Mandrake 10.1

Nick Bower linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Mon, 08 Nov 2004 09:42:24 +0100

I found out what the problem was - Mandrake included early ipw2?00
drivers as modules, but when these loaded during boot-time, for all
kernels, the system would crash.  It took my whole weekend to find this
as the culprit.

> Sorry, I can't disagree with you more.  I have 10.1 on a T41 and it the most
> stable distro I have ever had on it.  Everything works beautifully, except
> for having to recompile the kernel without local APIC support to get a
> complete shutdown, because, as you discovered, the nolapic boot parameter
> doesn't work anymore.  This is a pretty widly known bug in 2.6.7mm and later
> kernels.  Whatever patch that was in the 2.6.7-mm that caused this problem
> was merged into 2.6.8, so now it doesn't work in the mainline kernel either.

Eh?  I was running a custom 2.6.8.1 in which it worked nolapic worked
fine (and in fact was essential to for a complete shutdown).

> xorg gets an excellent framerate with the Mobility Radeon 9000 and the Cisco
> wireless card is finally stable and automatically detected.

For the same config file, XOrg produces a frame rate of about 325 fps,
about a third I think of that from XFree86 4.3.  I'm using the exact
same config file in each and DRI seems to start up fine from looking at
the logs.

nick