[ltp] trouble with xorgs radeon again

Eben King linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Mon, 8 Nov 2004 11:51:52 -0500 (EST)

On Sat, 6 Nov 2004, André Wyrwa wrote:

> finally i found out how to convince the DNA drivers to install for both
> the internal FireGL and the external Radeon 9000 in my dock. Hence i
> wanted to switch to this setup under linux as well to finally get some
> dualhead.
>
> Trouble is that if i try to start xorg with a config that has the PCI
> card enabled, i won't come really far. The server loads and it seems
> that the whole system is on a hang, since the wireless LED stops
> blinking and the pressing the power button, which i configured to kill
> X, doesn't do this anymore either.
>
> Even if i run X -configure the same thing happens.
>
> I'm attaching a config that would use the external card only together
> with the log file (which doesn't go very far). The X log sometimes was
> longer and then stopped after a line that said something about
> truncating the PCI BIOS.
>
> I'd be happy if anyone could comment on this.

The last lines in X's log file are

(II) Loading font FreeType
(II) LoadModule: "type1"
(II) Loading /usr/X11R6/lib/modules/fonts/libtype1.a

so I'd guess something in FreeType doesn't like some aspect of your
current configuration. Maybe the second video card, or the fact that you
_have_ two video cards breaks one of its assumptions.

Anyhow, comment out

        Load  "freetype"

and see what happens.  Some of your fonts won't work, but at least X will.
X may puke if it tries to load a font that uses libfreetype but
libfreetype isn't loaded; in that case, you'll have to disable the
offending font too.

A: Because it looks dumb and is hard to read.
Q: Why is top-posting wrong?  -- from lots42@xxx.com