[ltp] T42 in dock w/ KVM - mouse malfunction?

Lew Newby linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Mon, 08 Nov 2004 12:49:19 -0500

Donald B. Altman wrote:

>Hello,
>
>I've got a new, lovely T42p and a Thinkpad mini-dock.  This is to replace my former
>Thinkpad A21p in a Thinkpad Dock.
>
>I use the set-up with a Linksys KVM switch.  Using the old Thinkpad and dock, all works fine.
>Using the new T42p and Thinkpad mini-dock the mouse is flaky.  Basically, it freezes if I
>switch away form the Thinkpad and then back to it (and a bunch of other situations).
>If I use a separate mouse plugged directly into the mini-dock, then all works fine (i.e.
>the keyboard and Video switch properly.)
>
>I've tried a Belkin KVM, both with and without power supply and gotten the same behavior.
>I've swapped cables and gotten the same behavior.  I've confirmed that the old Thinkpad
>and dock still work properly using the same KVM hardware.
>I've tried the setup using a Thinkpad Dock II rather than a mini-dock with the same result.
>
>IBM service claims they have never heard any report of a flaky mouse using a KVM switch
>with a Thinkpad.  they've also said they won't touch the problem since IBM doesn't sell a KVM.
>A Google search suggests others have encountered the problem, but I found nothing definitive.
>
>Has anyone encountered a similar problem?  Has anyone found a solution?
>
>TIA
>
>Don A

Is the KVM USB or PS2? If USB try pluging it directly into the T42 and
bypass the mini-dock. This is the only way I can get my mouse and
keyboard on a USB KVM to work with my A31P and one of the larger docking
stations.

--
Lew Newby Jr.					http://www.neei.com/~gideon
SCA: Ian the Fariner of Dunkeld, OP