[ltp] Re: Power drain with ACPI

Joel Ebel linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Mon, 08 Nov 2004 14:23:54 -0500

I have a T40 (2373-92U)
All drivers are the ones from IBM with a couple exceptions.  I think I
installed the lated intel chipset drivers instead of the IBM ones, and I
installed the drivers from cisco rather than the IBM package for my
wireless card, but they should really be identical.  At one point I used
the intel network drivers too, but I went back to the IBM ones to solve
a problem.  I've only used the IBM video drivers.  I didn't know you
could install ATI's on top of them.  I'll have to try some older BIOS
revisions to see if it makes any difference.  Is their a faster way to
test the drain than put it in standby and see what the battery is at in
the morning?  Would it be acceptable to put an ammeter inline with the
external power supply to measure current if I can find the power
connector at Radio Shack?  Or does suspend to RAM behave differently
when plugged in vs battery?  I've wondered if XP Service Pack 2 had any
effect on this.  If I can find a spare hard drive I'll install SP1 on it
and see if it suffers the same problem.

I'm happy to help out however I can with this.  It's a frustrating problem.

Joel