[ltp] Noisy harddisk shutdown

Matt Graham linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Mon, 8 Nov 2004 14:32:03 -0500

On Monday 08 November 2004 13:45, after a long battle with technology,
pub@wigginghaus.de wrote:

Please don't top-post.  Message rearranged for easier reading
comprehension.

> Am Montag, 8. November 2004 20:38 schrieb Jan Frey:
> > when turning my A30p (kernel is 2.6.7, APM) the harddrive quite
> > often gives a terrible noise (djjjj-CLACK!) just microseconds before
> > screen goes blank and power is off. It really does not sound
> > healthy.

Did you mean "turning my A30p off" or "turning my A30p on"?  Or did you
mean "I hear strange hard-disk noises when suspending-to-disk"?  Yeah,
I know, you're posting from .de so English isn't your first language,
but details can make a lot of difference.

> > Also sound never appears when using suspend-to-disk.

If you meant "Sound works when I first turn the machine on, but after I
suspend-to-disk, sound stops working", then the thing to do is to rmmod
all the sound modules before you suspend-to-disk and have your APM
script modprobe all the sound modules on resume.  The APM daemon's
configuration file should be in /etc/apm/apmd_proxy or /etc/apmd_proxy,
but your distro may have put it in a nonstandard place.  Check the man
pages for apmd and apmd_proxy to find out where it is.

> I experience the same problem [hard disk noise] with my R50. However
> my harddrive makes this noise (Especially "Clack"!) not only when
> shutting down but also every now and then during normal operation.

If it ain't broke, fix it until it *is* broke.

The hard disk on my A22p has made similar noises (usually a
"clack-clack-clack-clack-clack" every few hours) for as long as I've
owned the machine.  I run smartctl -a on the disk every week and I
haven't ever seen any problems reported.  I'd trust the IDE SMART data
over "feel" here, but you can do what you want.  HTH,

--
   "Which you then convert to gold, non-perishable food, firearms, good
   liquor & a secluded hideaway in the last of the internet official