[ltp] Noisy harddisk shutdown

Jan Frey linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Mon, 8 Nov 2004 20:37:18 +0000

Hi Nils,

maybe I did not describe the sound detailled enough.. Your description
pretty much sounds like the head load/unload procedure which modern drives
are performing in order to save power. This small "click" can be avoided
by setting different APM levels on the drive. For IBM/Hitachi it is most
probably enough to issue "hdparm -B 192 /dev/hda", where 192 can be
replaced by any value 192<=x<=254 (255 means Power Management off).
Of course this will have (negative) effects on power consumption...

What I meant is a really loud CLACK when hd goes completely down. It sounds
as if power was just taken away from the drive instead of telling it to
park heads and spin down...

Br
 Jan

--