[ltp] Noisy harddisk shutdown

Jan Frey linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Mon, 8 Nov 2004 21:10:48 +0000

> > > when turning my A30p (kernel is 2.6.7, APM) the harddrive quite
> > > often gives a terrible noise (djjjj-CLACK!) just microseconds before
> > > screen goes blank and power is off. It really does not sound
> > > healthy.
>
> Did you mean "turning my A30p off" or "turning my A30p on"?  Or did you
> mean "I hear strange hard-disk noises when suspending-to-disk"?  Yeah,
> I know, you're posting from .de so English isn't your first language,
> but details can make a lot of difference.

Sorry, for the missing details.. I meant "turning OFF". This noise only
comes when shutting down linux (/sbin/poweroff) and even then not every
time.

> > > Also sound never appears when using suspend-to-disk.
>
> If you meant "Sound works when I first turn the machine on, but after I
> suspend-to-disk, sound stops working", then the thing to do is to rmmod
> all the sound modules before you suspend-to-disk and have your APM
> script modprobe all the sound modules on resume.  The APM daemon's
> configuration file should be in /etc/apm/apmd_proxy or /etc/apmd_proxy,
> but your distro may have put it in a nonstandard place.  Check the man
> pages for apmd and apmd_proxy to find out where it is.

Well, what I meant is that above described sound (noisy "clack") is not to
be heard when powering off via suspend-to-disk (Fn+F12 using BIOS
suspend-to-disk/APM).

> > I experience the same problem [hard disk noise] with my R50. However
> > my harddrive makes this noise (Especially "Clack"!) not only when
> > shutting down but also every now and then during normal operation.
>
> If it ain't broke, fix it until it *is* broke.

Well, I think I'm familiar enough with these drives to state that it is
working flawlessly under normal conditions. Its usual behaviour and the
fact that it is max 100-200 working hours old lets me have very strong
confident that it is absolutely ok. My feeling is that the drive wants to
be informed of being switched off soon; maybe BIOS sends some command for
this (that would explain why hd stays silent at shutdown with
suspend-to-disk) and linux (at least by default) does not.
During normal usage there isn't a single strange noise or so coming from my
disk.

Br
 Jan

--