[ltp] Finally there is joy with Debian Sarge/Sid, Kernel 2.6.9 and sound on my ThinkPad 600e!

Charles E Taylor IV linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Mon, 8 Nov 2004 16:29:38 -0500

On Mon, 8 Nov 2004 09:00:59 -0800
Michelle Klein-Hass <bosslady@msgeek.com> wrote:

> I now can watch VCD 1.1 and VCD 2.0 files to my heart's content on the
> Linux side of things. Wait, didn't I say that I installed a Panasonic
> combo drive? What about DVDs? Well, they work...sorta. You have to tell
> mplayer to drop frames to maintain sync, and you absolutely, positively,
> cannot do a single blessed thing else while it's running.

This may be an mplayer issue.  I've always had better luck using Xine or
ogle (especially ogle) to play DVDs on my Thinkpads.  On my 770Z, mplayer
hiccups like you describe, but ogle plays DVDs with no fuss.

*  Charles Taylor <tomalek@mindspring.com>
*  Chemistry teacher, Linux enthusiast!
*  Web: http://home.mindspring.com/~charletiv/