[ltp] Daemon for ACPI throttling states?

Heiko Rosemann linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Tue, 9 Nov 2004 16:58:43 +0100

Hi everyone,

yes, I have cpudynd running. But now I am looking for the additional
runtime gain I can get with dynamically scaling the ACPI throttling. I
mean, no prob, if I only want to type and I know it before, then I can
turn the throttling to T7 and the cpu-frequency down to 800MHz (this
is an X30 w/ PIII-1.2GHz). Same is true for watching movies etc. But
for normal operation (especially with the slmodem - this really
consumes CPU power) it is not as easy: If I set the throttling too
high, then the CPU will run at 1200MHz all the time, which burns the
gain again. And if I fix the CPU at 800MHz and enable throttling, then
the sytem's responses get sluggy.

What I am really looking for is something that first tunes down the
cpufreq, and if @800MHz and full throttling (T0) there is still enough
power, then enable throttling. Dynamically.

Is there anything like this? Where to start if I wanted to write
something similar?

TIA, Heiko

P.S: Might be no problem anymore from tomorrow on - will be getting an
approx. 70Wh-external battery.