[ltp] Power drain with ACPI

John M Flinchbaugh linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Tue, 9 Nov 2004 15:27:19 -0500

--BOKacYhQ+x31HxR3

On Tue, Nov 09, 2004 at 08:30:48PM +0100, Nils Trebing wrote:
> Joel Ebel wrote:
> > Interesting.  This seems to indicate that WinXP doesn't exhibit this
> > problem.  That's where I get it.  And it matches the description.=20
> > Power=20
> > drain, and it stays hot, right under the CPU.  I wonder if a BIOS
> > update=20
> > changed something?
> I'm using the latest BIOS (1.21) on my R40 since quite some time, but
> that didn't change anything in this respect. But you could still try
> updating the BIOS of your machine.

i'm not sure which bios my r40 is running, but i'll have to go looking.

i had just assumed this was an issue with the OS not powering down as
much as it should for S3.  i've noticed that my usb stays powered (LED
on bluetooth adapter), and the LED next to my cdrw stays lit as well.

the excessive power consumption makes s3 sort of useless, but i just
thought i'd have to wait for the smart acpi people to get it working
better.  before 2.6.9, s3 didn't know how to wake up, so it seemed to be
a work in progress.
--=20
| glynis@hjsoft.com         http://www.hjsoft.com/~glynis/ |