[ltp] FC3 / Swsusp

Christopher Hubbell linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Thu, 11 Nov 2004 07:59:21 -0500

Greetings from the bleeding edge!

I've upgraded my T23 to FC3, and for the most part I'm impressed with
Fedora'a latest.  Suspend to RAM via ACPI works like a charm, TPB and
IBM-ACPI both installed without a hitch as well.  As usual I'm hitting
resistance on swsusp.  My hope was that the stock FC3 2.6.9 kernel would
be somewhat functional, but it appears that support for swusp is not
even compiled into it, although APM is.

Unfortunately, my (possibly wrong?) understanding is that APM won't do a
suspend to disk - only RAM, and even so, you can't have both ACPI and
APM, which means I would have to forego the IBM-ACPI enabled buttons if
I used APM...  Thus, I'm really trying to keep ACPI/swsusp as my
objective.  Someone set me straight if I've got this wrong!

I downloaded the kernel SRPM and rebuilt the /BUILD directory to expand
the source tree.  Added the normal swsusp options to the config, and
then tried to make the bzImage.  Seems that the stock FC3 kernel source
won't  compile with swsusp enabled.  I also tried to apply the latest
2.6.9 swsusp patches from sourceforge, but that fails...  Not surprising
when I look at all the patches being applied first.

I'm wondering if anyone has tried to get swsusp working on a 2.6.9
kernel that's as close to FC3's default as possible?  Or is my only shot
here is to use the vanilla 2.6.9...  Any words of wisdom would be
appreciated.  At this point, I'm thinking about trying to modify the
SRPM to skip one patch at a time until I find the one that allows swsusp
to apply.  That could take a while though...

Thanks,
Chris