[ltp] FC3 / Swsusp

Christopher Hubbell linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Fri, 12 Nov 2004 07:16:47 -0500

<><>> Which functions would this be (that are not in APM)?

Specifically, the fn- F3, F4, F7, and F12 combinations that teel the
machine to sleep, hibernate, swap display, toggle display, etc.  These
are only visible to linux via the IBM-ACPI driver, which of course,
requires acpid.

> You might want to check the following thread:
> http://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-devel-list/2004-October/msg01369.html

I've read the ominous threads talking about its immaturity.  Yes, I still want to be able to make my system suspend to disk.  My Windows 2000 environment has no trouble doing this and it drives me nutty not being able to make use of my hardware in Linux.  I've seen plenty of people posting to this alias who happily use swsusp, so I know it's possible.

If I could have the IBM-ACPI events detected by acpid, AND be able to make use of APM for suspend/hibernate then I guess I'd have the best of both worlds...  But as I said earlier, I don't think I can be running APM and ACPI in parallel - I believe that they are set up such that only one can start at a time, and I want to be able to use the fn-F4/12 to control sleep modes.  Can anyone confirm or deny that I would not be able to use IBM-ACPI (really,the buttons it enables) if I was actively using APM?