[ltp] Problem compiling kernel on t41

Niels Stargardt linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Fri, 12 Nov 2004 20:50:45 +0100

Hi Petr
you could compile the kernel with Pentium M, I do it on Debian.
On Fri, 12 Nov 2004 08:23:49 +0800
Petr Simon <info@klubko.net> wrote:
> VFS: Cannot open root device hda5 or unknown-block(0,0)
> Kernel panic - not syncing: VFS: unable to mount root fs on
> unknown-block(0,0)
>
> I use grub and it automaticaly generated the boot option according
> to old ones. I compile on 2.6.8. Currently I am trying 2.6.9, but
> the same problem occured with 2.6.8. I have running 2.6.8 compiled
> with Pentium Pro. Any idea

I get a similar error. I guess you don't use initrd, this was my problem. If you use the original config file from Debian you should use initrd or find out the right config-parameter which has to switch off.
So what could you do?
1. Check that hda5 is really your root-device
2. Use initrd or use the config I and Ronald posted to this mailinglist.

Hope this useful for you
	Niels