[ltp] T40 & USB

Paul Kaplan linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Fri, 12 Nov 2004 21:12:03 -0500

Here's my setup:

T40, Mandrake 10 (kernel 2.6.3), docking station, external IBM keyboard w/
UltraNav, powered external USB2 hub plugged into the docking station, Targus
wireless mouse (USB 1.1), XFree 4.3

Here's the problem.
Without the wireless mouse, everything's fine.  Both the internal and external
trackpoint and trackpads are active at boot time.  However when the wireless
mouse is attached to either the powered USB2 hub or the USB port on the back
of the keyboard at boot time, neither the internal or external trackpoints or
trackpads are active when the system finishes booting, but the wireless mouse
is active.  If, after the system has achieved this state, I unplug both the
wireless mouse and the external keyboard and then plug the keyboard in first
followed by the wireless mouse, the trackpoints, trackpads and wireless mouse
are all active.  This odd behavior doesn't happen if I use a wired USB mouse;
all pointing devices are active when the system finishes booting.

Any ideas what the cause of the problem is and how it might be corrected so
that everything is active at boot time?

TIA
Paul