[ltp] Crippled bios makes third party products unusable

Martin Gramatke linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Mon, 15 Nov 2004 19:05:07 +0100

Thinkpads have a list in their bios of cards they tolerate in their mini pci
slot. So it was not possible to me to upgrade a Thinkpad X24 from 802.11b
to 802.11g by replacing the mini pci card. The notebook does not boot. Even
IBM's own 802.11g cards are not supported and a bios update is not planned.

More info can be found here:
http://www.srcf.ucam.org/~mjg59/thinkpad/wireless.html
http://www.srcf.ucam.org/~mjg59/thinkpad/ibm.html

On these pages is described a CMOS patch to circumvent this cheap trick. It
works, now the notebook boots. But it stops with a warning code 01C9,
message: 'More than one Ethernet devices are found. Remove one of them and
press the Esc key to continue.'
Needless to say I neither want to remove the 802.11g mini pci card nor the
build in wired ethernet device.

Belssedly the thinkpad continues to boot after pressing Esc, but this is no
solution for a remote ssh reboot.

Anyone knows another CMOS patch or the like?

BTW, isn't it illegal to advertise things (i.e. mini pci slot) that were
mischievous corruted by design?!

regards
Martin