[ltp] Thinkpads can not boot from flash drive?

Joel Ebel linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Mon, 15 Nov 2004 13:38:25 -0500

Henrik Brix Andersen wrote:

> I can boot my X31 from my 256MB Memory Corp USB flash device - but it
> fails to boot from the no-name 16M flash device I have, since that
> device does not support the boot protocol.

Boot protocol?  Every USB-Storage device can be made bootable if the
BIOS supports booting.  That's like saying some hard drives don't
support booting.  It's just a storage device.  With a proper master boot
record, and a bootable partition with syslinux installed, any
usb-storage device can be booted on a computer that supports it.

Joel