[ltp] Re: Thinkpad battery exhausted in less than a year?

Brian Beattie linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Mon, 15 Nov 2004 14:39:44 -0500

On Mon, 2004-11-15 at 13:53, Martin Gramatke wrote:
> Brian Beattie wrote:
>
> > it is best to be plugged in when ever power os available.
>
> Hello Brian,
>
> I will try that, thanks.
>
> Meanwhile I had a phone call with IBM. They adviced me to remove the battery
> when the notebook is plugged in and in use. I should charge the battery
> only when the notebook is off. This is quite impractical. They also told me
> to do a total discharge every now and then.
> I can not believe that this is the right way, because I have never heard
> from other notebook users that they mount/dismount their battery all the
> time. The battery is also important to give the notebook a better stand.

hmmmmmm, I wonder if that is just the local "tech" making things up, or
if that advice comes from engineering, I suspect that is just the local
"tech guy" making stuf up based on old information.  There is no count
of cycles.  The battery lifetime depends on too many variables, so there
is no specific number of cycles that the battery is good for, I have an
A30 that I bought used about a year and a half ago and it was about a
year old then.  I keep it plugged in about 23 hours a day and have run
th ebattery all the way less than 10 times half way down about the same
and on battery for lesseramounts of times about 20 times, and the
battery life seems about as good as when I got it, about 2.5 hours in
full use.
--
Brian Beattie   LFS12947 | "Honor isn't about making the right choices.
beattie@beattie-home.net | It's about dealing with the consequences."