[ltp] Thinkpads can not boot from flash drive?

Ken Firestone linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Mon, 15 Nov 2004 11:47:57 -0800 (PST)

On Mon, 15 Nov 2004, Joel Ebel wrote:

   Henrik Brix Andersen wrote:

   > I can boot my X31 from my 256MB Memory Corp USB flash device - but it
   > fails to boot from the no-name 16M flash device I have, since that
   > device does not support the boot protocol.

   Boot protocol?  Every USB-Storage device can be made bootable if the
   BIOS supports booting.  That's like saying some hard drives don't
   support booting.  It's just a storage device.  With a proper master boot
   record, and a bootable partition with syslinux installed, any
   usb-storage device can be booted on a computer that supports it.

This is not completely true. I have a usb cdrw drive that will NOT
boot with my X31, no matter what I do. Using the very same bootable
cds in a different, newer drive, it boots just fine.

Ken Firestone, W3CAT     | For every problem there is one solution
kenf@speakeasy.net	 |  which is simple, neat, and wrong.
ken@firestone.net        |   -- H. L. Mencken