[ltp] Thinkpads can not boot from flash drive?

Joel Ebel linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Mon, 15 Nov 2004 15:27:59 -0500

cd-roms are quite different.  I'm just talking about read-write disks.
The CD-ROM device requires some special functionality to be bootable.
Alot of drives, especially old ones lack this.  If you put an old 4x
cd-rom in a new computer it will most likely not boot.  But even the
oldest floppy drive or IDE hard drive will still boot because it's a
normal block device and the BIOS handles the rest.  As long as the BIOS
and the drive support a minimal set of commands defined in
http://www.usb.org/developers/devclass_docs/usb_msc_boot_1.0.pdf  the
usb device can be booted if set up properly.

Joel